Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Flesh is Weak



These past few days God has lead me to verses on strengthening my spirit during my job-hunting season – seeking (Mathew 6:33) and trusting Him first (Proverbs 3:5-7). And yes it comforted me a lot, taking away most of my worries about my new job.

But last Sunday, He reminded me of something. This verse:

Haggai 1:5-7
Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”
This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways...”

The bible just told tell me the continuation of His advice, which J.C. Ryle put into words in one of his articles – to stop and think, to consider and be wise – to give CAREFUL THOUGHT to my ways.

During this time, Israel was rebuilding God’s temple in Jerusalem. However, as the people neglected God’s business and busied themselves with their own agendas, their confused priorities produce poor results. Similarly, God is telling me to re-examine my ways (or the path I am planning to take), if they produce (or will produce) good results according to His purpose and if I am still considering my own personal (earthly) agenda in prioritizing things for Him. Give CAREFUL THOUGHT to my ways.

God also lead me to this verse:

Mathew 26:41
“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Jesus told his disciples in the garden to watch and pray so no one will fall asleep. Take note. Not just pray, but WATCH AND PRAY.

Yes. Praying is good. Seeking His kingdom and righteousness first is fantastic. Unswerving faith and belief is great. No question. But He also expects me, so I will not fall into temptations, to KEEP WATCH – to use my senses, which (by the way) were provided also (by Him) for this purpose.  He wants me to use my own cognition to analyze and determine whether my ways are producing good results according to His will.

Honestly, after I’ve read the verses from Proverbs 3:5-7 and Mathew 6:33, I immediately jumped into the thought of Him doing all the work and making all the decisions for me. The thought of Him just dropping this so-called “perfect job” in front of me is so attractive and all I need to do is just get into it. I made these verses perfect excuses for me to avoid executing a judgement and making a decision. What I fail to realize is that God has already given me the ability through the guidance of the Holy Spirit to make the right decision and to stand by it (believing God leads you to this decision).

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

 God wants me to activate and trust my God-given senses and abilities to do their role arising to a decision which is rooted from Him and in the purpose of fulfilling His will.

God is calling me to strengthen not only my spirit but also my flesh.

***
Thank you Lord for establishing in me the importance of seeking You first and trusting You with all my heart especially in this situation. Thank you also Lord for reminding me that I also need to activate my God-given flesh, that is, to give a careful thought to my ways, whether the decision I will make is glorifying You or myself.  Thank You Lord. I love You.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment